Monday, November 23, 2015

Leek and Kale Coconut Curry with Rice Noodles



I spent last weekend at a conference for rabbinical students from all over the country. It was a fantastic experience and I learned so much from the students and "full-grown" rabbis there. I also increased my understanding of strict kosher eating practices, like not being allowed to bring my water bottle into the cafeteria (the staff took it away but I got it back!) and using tea essence rather than tea bags on shabbat. I don't really keep kosher at home. I'm a vegetarian, so I don't mix meat and milk because I'm not ever consuming meat, but I buy products that aren't marked kosher, and since my roommates aren't vegetarian, my pots and pans and dishes aren't kosher. I feel like my practices make sense for me, and when I have my own kitchen I might just keep it vegetarian. In any case, some of the practices at the conference were new to me, and it was awesome to learn from my more traditionally-observant colleagues.

When I got back yesterday afternoon, all I really wanted to do was curl up and chill, but instead I ran out to the co-op for groceries and then hopped in the car to get to choir practice on time. (I'm a good little chorister.) So I didn't really have a lot of time to cook yesterday, but when I got home from work today I decided it was time to use yesterday's hastily-purchased groceries to make something awesome. And then I did. These proportions worked out well for me, but the veggie amounts are really up to you. Also, feel free to sub other greens for the kale if you like. This recipe is quite forgiving and can hang out without constant attention for most of the cooking process.

Ingredients

  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced or diced large
  • about 2 inches ginger, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large leek, greens and whites washed well and sliced thinly
  • a handful of mushrooms, washed and sliced
  • half a package of tofu (you could use more-- that's what I had), pressed and cubed
  • about half a head of kale, stemmed (if you like) washed and torn into bite-sized chunks
  • 2 TBS canola oil or other cooking oil
  • 1 14 oz can light coconut milk
  • 1 TBS red curry paste (I use thai kitchen)
  • about half a package rice noodles
  • 1 tsp soy sauce, plus more to taste
  • sesame chili oil to taste
Procedure
  • Cook the rice noodles according to package directions. If they're done before your veggies are, rinse in cool water and set aside. 
  • Heat the canola oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for a couple of minutes. 
  • Add the leeks and let cook slowly for about 5 minutes, until they start to soften up.
  • Add the tofu and mushrooms. Continue to cook over medium-low for perhaps another 5 minutes, stirring about from time to time. Add more oil if the veggies start to stick or get super dry. 
  • When the veggies are softish and starting to look cohesive, add in the kale. It may well take over your pan. Be patient. Stir it gently. Eventually the kale will start to break down and fit properly in the pan. 
  • Before

  • After the kale has been cooking for about 5 minutes, stir in the coconut milk and curry paste. Cook for about 5 minutes more or until veggies are as tender as you like. 
  • Stir in rice noodles, soy sauce, and chili oil (if using).
  • Eat up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment