Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Simple Scrumptious (Brussels) Sprouts



I know. Brussels Sprouts are the ultimate kid "ick" food. For the longest time, I didn't think I liked them. Interestingly enough, however, I don't think I ever actually gave them a try until a couple of years ago, when my at-the-time housemate cooked up a batch. They weren't just acceptable; they were awesome. Although I still don't eat brussels sprouts all that often, every once in awhile I'll get a craving, and, when I do, this is how I make them:



Ingredients
-about 15 brussels sprouts, ends chopped off and halved
-water enough to just barely cover the sprouts when placed in a wide pan
-about 2 TB olive oil, butter, or a mix
-2-4 cloves of garlic
-salt and pepper to taste

Procedure
-Prep the sprouts as described above and stick in a wide pan with just enough water to cover them. You want a pan large enough that all of the sprouts can make contact with the bottom. Alternatively, you can cook in two batches. 
-Allow the water to come to a boil and blanch the sprouts for just about a minute or two, until they turn bright green
-Place the sprouts on a plate covered with paper towels, dump the water from the pan, and heat the oil or butter in the pan.
-Put the sprouts, cut-side down, back into the pan and allow them to cook undisturbed over medium heat for about five minutes, until nicely browned. Four minutes into the cooking, sprinkle in the garlic.
-When the sprouts are golden brown, flip them and let them cook a few minutes longer. They should be nicely softened and crispy on the outside
-Serve immediately, topped with salt and pepper

And yeah, I know I've been a bad blogger lately. As usual, I've been cooking plenty and photographing little. Here's to a prolific May!







No comments:

Post a Comment